Chase the Northern Lights across the Laplands of Kiruna and Rovaniemi for an unforgettable experience of a lifetime. Winter magic beckons!!
Kiruna a small mining town located smack center of the Aurora oval is home to Abisko National Park a prime location for viewing the northern lights, Sweden’s highest mountain Kebnekaise and the ski resorts Björkliden and Riksgränsen, not to mention ICEHOTEL in the small village Jukkasjärvi.
Spellbinding nature, the magical phenomena called Northern Lights, Lappish traditions and culture, urban life and wild activities make the Official Hometown of Santa Claus, Rovaniemi a unique place to visit
Discover more of Northern Lights – Across the Lapland with our 9 Nights/10 Days Package
This package covers Stockholm (1N), Kiruna (3N), Rovaniemi (3N), 1N on board the train from Rovaniemi to Helsinki, Helsinki (1N)
Ideal season for the tour
The best chance of seeing the Northern Lights at Abisko is between November and end of March. The Lights, or aurora borealis, appear around the beginning of September (Kiruna) to around the end of March all over the Swedish Lapland.
The Northern Lights season in Finnish Lapland spans from mid-August until early April. Contrary to popular belief, the best times for spotting the Auroras are at the beginning and end of the season.
- Competitive pricing
- Hosts approved by the local tourism board
- Private tours with local experience and ample leisure time
- Quality checked stays and coordinated transfers
- We do the research so that you don’t have to spend hours online
Available packages for Northern Lights – Across the Lapland
Accommodation type with pricing from Rs.3000/- to Rs.6000/-.
Day 1: Arrival in Stockholm
- On your arrival at Stockholm, you shall be transferred to the hotel.
- Rest of the day at leisure to explore Stockholm city.
- Overnight at the hotel in Stockholm.
Day 2: Arrival in Kiruna
- After breakfast, you shall be transferred to the Stockholm airport for your flight to Kiruna.
- Pick up by the representative (driver) from Kiruna airport
- Transfer to hotel and check-in and after resting a bit, spend some free time exploring the town.
- In the evening, bundle up for a refreshing guided snow-shoe walk in the wilderness, with breaks at several key spots to hopefully catch a glimpse of the northern lights.
- Enjoy a hot beverage and a well-earned sandwich before heading back to town.
- Overnight stay at the hotel in Kiruna.
Day 3: Kiruna Sightseeing
- After breakfast, proceed to experience the thrill of dog sledding with an experienced guide.
- At the kennel, you will learn to drive your own sled and lead a team of huskies.
- Follow your guide as he leads you on beautiful snowy trails, through the woods and, over the plains.
- After a good ride, enjoy some coffee and a light lunch in front of a campfire.
- Early evening, proceed by minibus for about 100 km (60 miles) from Kiruna, for an unforgettable evening of natural beauty and gourmet cuisine.
- The night begins with a chairlift ride up a mountainside to the Aurora Sky Station in Abisko National Park, offering an unspoilt view of the stars above.
- At the restaurant, indulge in a delicious, Nordic-inspired 4-course dinner, followed by a guided tour to learn about the spectacular northern lights and how to see them.
- After a wonderful evening at Aurora Sky Station, return to Kiruna.
- Overnight at hotel in Kiruna.
Day 4: Jukkasjärvi Sightseeing
The tiny village of Jukkasjärvi is 20km east of Kiruna, 200km north of the Arctic Circle, and is surrounded by lakes, fir trees, and reindeer. It is also home to one of Sweden’s most famous attractions: the extraordinary Icehotel
- After breakfast at the hotel, proceed to Jukkasjärvi.
- Start with a guided tour of the fascinating ICEHOTEL complex, including the original and the world’s first snow-and-ice structure that is rebuilt each winter.
- Visit the recently built permanent structure, the ICEHOTEL 365, which offers a year-round winter experience inside, thanks to solar panels.
- See an assortment of ice rooms and ice suites as well as the Ice Bar, Ice church and other creative works of ice and snow.
- In the evening go on a guided snowmobile excursion in the wilderness chasing the northern lights.
- After some time zooming across the snow, taking turns driving and riding on the snowmobile, enjoy a rustic dinner in a wooden hut around a fireplace.
- Return to Kiruna.
- Overnight at the hotel in Kiruna.
Day 5: Kiruna Departure -> Transfer to Rovaniemi
- After breakfast at the hotel, checkout, and transfer to the Kiruna railway station.
- Catch the train to Rovaniemi via the following route: Kiruna ->Haparanda/Tornio RC ->Tornio På Gränsen Rajala ->Puutarhakatu 6 I -> Rovaniemi linja-autoasema T
- Upon arrival at Rovaniemi, transfer to the hotel and check-in.
- Rest of the day relax and recharge for the Finnish Lapland experience.
- Overnight stay at the Arctic Snow Hotel - Glass Igloo in Rovaniemi.
Day 6: Rovaniemi – Experience Lapland
Rovaniemi is an urban oasis amidst the Arctic wilderness, where culture, wild activities, and fairytales come together
- After breakfast at the hotel proceed for the Ranua Wildlife Park Tour (Duration-4-5 hours)
- The zoo is situated 80 kilometers south from Rovaniemi and it takes about an hour to get there by car or by bus.
- Take a stroll through the zoo, and see animals and birds that live in natural conditions of the northern latitudes.
- Visit the souvenir shops, the shop of 'Fazer' candy factory, and the local wine shop where they sell unique wines made from wild berries like cloudberries, cowberries, bilberries etc.
- Includes transfer, guide, entrance fee to the zoo, buffet lunch.
- Return back and check-in to the Santa Claus Village Resort and set out to discover this world-renowned resort.
Activities not included in the package are
Santa Claus Village and Office:
- Traverse the Arctic Circle and meet Santa any time of year at the Santa Claus Village. Experience the magic of the holiday season at this theme park.
- Stay in the village or take a day trip into this festive wonderland.
- Take photos with Santa Claus in his office or strike a pose at the Arctic Circle line, which runs through the village and provides for a popular photo-op.
- Spread the holiday cheer by sending a card from Santa Claus' post office or purchase gifts for friends and loved ones at one of the village's Christmas-themed shops.
- Enjoy reindeer rides right in the backyard of Santa Claus Office at the Arctic Circle in Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi. Duration: about 5 min
- Prices: 18 €/ adult
- Available from 1st of September, Mon-Sat 10.00 – 16.00
Later in the evening, you shall be picked up from the hotel for the Aurora Borealis Hunting and Picnic Experience. (Duration of the tour will be ~ 3 hours)
Aurora borealis or the Northern Lights are one of nature's great displays, a free, multicolored light show that is most commonly seen in the Arctic regions. Every performance is different, a beautiful, shifting dance of nocturnal rainbows that many viewers find a humbling and spiritually uplifting experience.
- During this tour, you shall be transferred to a location far away from the city lights, with a magnificent view of the starry sky.
- Watch the dark skies from a camp with a traditional Finnish Laavu-building and campfire and learn a lot about this natural phenomenon, and also how to take pictures of it!
- Here, in Lapland, you can watch the Northern Lights 200 nights a year on average. The best time to observe the northern lights is from September to April.
- Sitting by the fire, grill and eat Lappish sausages as the guide tells you about the facts, myth, and beliefs associated with the northern lights.
- And, if lucky, you will see the northern lights, shimmering in the dark blue sky.
- Tea and coffee will also be available.
- Overnight at Santa Claus Village Resort in Rovaniemi
Day 7: Rovaniemi Sightseeing
After breakfast at the hotel proceed for any of the below day tours:
Option 1: Day trip to Korouoma Canyon. (Duration of the tour is 4 to 5 hours.)
- This Korouoma canyon trip is an amazing experience both during summer and winter. Korouoma’s 100m high rocky walls and the serpentine river will leave you speechless.
- In summer you can experience the canyon’s unique flora and the tranquility of the forest.
- In winter, ice walls surround the valley and create the most extraordinary feeling.
- Remember to bring your camera!
Option 2: Kätkävaara Nature Path (Duration of the tour is 6 hours).
- Kätkävaara is located between Rovaniemi and Kemi, close to the Pisavaara Strict Nature Reserve which is the strictest protected large nature reservations in all of Europe.
- The nature in the Kätkävaara region has unbelievably beautiful and diverse bio-diversity with plenty of wild animals and birds living in the area.
- The trail goes from the little forest ponds up to the summit with breathtaking views.
- Snacks and warm beverages will be served during the trip in a tepee.
- Return to the hotel after the day tour and rest of the day at leisure to explore the Santa Claus Village
Optional Tour in the afternoon:
- Husky is a general name for a sled-type of dog used in northern regions, differentiated from other sled-dog types by their fast pulling style
- These 4-legged helpers will receive you jumping and barking and take you to enjoy the forest.
- Imagine sitting on a sleigh covered with reindeer skins in the middle of the snowy forest where only the breathing of dogs pulling your sleigh can be heard. It is indeed a unique experience!
- Overnight at Santa Claus Village Resort in Rovaniemi
Day 8: Rovaniemi Sightseeing -> Evening train to Helsinki
- After an early breakfast at the hotel, you shall indulge in activities or sightseeing at the Santa Claus Village till noon.
- Check-out by 12:00 and proceed to Rovaniemi Railway station. Santa Claus Village resort offers free drop.
- Proceed for sightseeing in Rovaniemi. A daily pass for the bus routes is available for 8.80€ for traveling by bus.
- Following are the attractions suggested which are within short distances of each other from the city center-Rovaniemi Church, Kauppakeskus Sampokeskus – Gift and Speciality Shops, Arktikum - Situated on top of the Arctic Circle, serves as a museum, science center, and conference venue
- Later in the evening board the overnight direct train to Helsinki from Rovaniemi railway station.
- Overnight on the train.
Day 9: Helsinki Arrival and Sightseeing
- Upon arrival at Helsinki railway station, proceed to drop your luggage at the cloakroom facility available.
- You shall be provided with the 48 hrs Helsinki City Card
- Overnight at hotel in Helsinki
The card entitles travelers to the following benefits:
- Sightseeing tours by bus or boat
- Unlimited travel on public transport in Helsinki and ferry to/from Suomenlinna Sea
- Entry to the major museums and sights
- Several discounts in restaurants, shops, and concerts
- Guidebook, including maps and complete tourist information.
Top attractions included:
- Suomenlinna Fortress Island
- Panorama Sightseeing Audio tour
- SEA LIFE Helsinki
- Olympic Stadium Tower
- The Finnish Nature Centre Haltia
- Ateneum Art Museum
- Helsinki Zoo in Korkeasaari
- Hard Rock Cafe Helsinki
- National Museum of Finland
- And much more!
Day 10: Helsinki Departure
Arrival breakfast, proceed for half-day sightseeing or as per the flight timing, you shall be transferred to the airport to board the flight home.
- 01 Night in Stockholm in 3* hotel or similar
- 03 Nights stay in Kiruna in 3* hotel or similar (optional stay in Glass Igloo)
- 01 Night stay in Rovaniemi in Arctic Snow Hotel (Glass Igloo) or similar on double sharing
- 02 Nights stay in Rovaniemi at Santa Claus Village Resort or similar on double sharing in Superior Cottage
- 01 Night in an overnight train from Rovaniemi to Helsinki (Sleeping Compartments on double sharing basis)
- 01 Night stay in Helsinki in a 3* hotel on double sharing basis
- Scandinavian buffet breakfast throughout your stay
- Private Transfers from
- Stockholm (Hotel-Airport)
- Kiruna(Railway Station-Hotel-Bus Terminal)
- Rovaniemi (Bus Terminal-Arctic Snow Hotel-Santa Claus Village)
- Helsinki (Airport-Hotel-Airport)
- Activities as below:
- Aurora Sky Station at Abisko National Park
- Snow shoe trekking experience at Kiruna
- Ice Hotel visit
- Ranua Zoo Visit (5 Hours) with a transfer from the hotel
- Aurora Adventure By Open Fire (3 hours) with a transfer from the hotel
- Helsinki City Card (48 Hours)
- GST @ 5% on the total package pricing
- International return airfare from India.
- Visa processing charges
- Entry fees to monuments and attractions (not mentioned in itinerary)
- Activities inside the Santa Claus Village, Rovaniemi.
- Meals other than mentioned in the itinerary
- Alcoholic beverages with meals.
- Expenses of personal nature (tips, porterage etc.)
Terms & Conditions
- The itinerary mentioned here is indicative and the final itinerary might vary as per the client preferences.
- The rates mentioned (if any) is been based on an estimated price for the season and bookings will be made after discussions for the customization.
- The actual rates might vary based on the availability on the exact travel date, actual flight charges and currency exchange rates on the date of booking.
- Flights and visa charges are optional and can be booked by the client directly if required so. SelfRoadiez can provide the same if requested by the client
Cancellation charges will vary for specific destinations and seasons. For flight inclusive packages, the cancellation policy of the respective airline will take precedence. Below is the general guideline for cancellations:
- From booking date till 31 days prior to departure - 20 % of Package Cost
- 16 to 30 Days prior to departure - 40% of Package Cost
- Less than 24 hrs to 15 Days prior to departure - 100% of Package Cost.
LocationNorthern Lights – Across the Lapland
Stay DetailsOr Similar Type